Frequently Asked Questions from Prospective Partners
- What is the typical academic background of the students entering this program?
- What are my commitments as a partner?
- Am I required to commit to internships every year as a partner?
- How do I select an intern?
- What, if any, impact will hiring interns have on our IP (intellectual property)?
- When can I hire an intern as a “regular” employee?
- Do students need to return to the University of Oregon campus to complete their course work after the internship?
- What if an intern I hire doesn’t work out?
- Are there other ways to support the program?
Students typically have a bachelor’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Math, Physics, or Computer Science.
There are no annual fees to partner with the program. Various factors impact salaries, therefore internship compensation is negotiated between student and company. We are happy to discuss average salaries.
No. All we ask is that you communicate potential employment opportunities when they arise so we may provide qualified candidates.
Student resumes will be available in January. Students may be interviewed by phone, video call, or in person, and offers may be made to the students by the date designated by the program. Internships generally begin in April, but the start date is flexible.
Interns are employed directly by the partner and the university has no claim to the IP generated during an internship. Students submit technical papers each term for class credit, but these papers are reviewed by the company to insure content does not infringe on sensitive data. Data within technical papers will not be shared.
You may make an intern an offer at any time during the internship.
Do students need to return to the University of Oregon campus to complete their course work after the internship?
Students may transition from intern to employee without interruption if you choose to hire them.
Open communication is encouraged with us throughout the internship so if issues do arise, we can help address them. If it is necessary to terminate an intern, we will support your decision.
Please see our partner page. The program and our students appreciate your support!